Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Wrap


My sister-in-law, who is a bit of an ebay freak, gave me this fabric several years ago for Christmas. And it has been just sitting in my stash. Why I haven't used it until now, I don't know. Except, perhaps it was meant for this particular project. Perhaps it chose to not be used until now. Is it possible that the fabric has controlled my life and my choices? Well, sometimes it seems that way. If you saw my stash, you might think that it does, indeed, control at least some aspects of my life.

Anyhow, I got a cool book on skirt embellishments. The ideas are really quite unusual. I decided to try to pattern in the book to make a sample skirt. This skirt has no embellishments, but, with this crazy print, it doesn't really need much else, right? After cutting out the pattern and trying to make the skirt, I realized that maybe the book is only good for the decorative ideas. Because the pattern stunk! I mean, it was baaaaaaad. Even my studio mate, Susan L., couldn't make head nor tails of it. I am a semi-moderately skilled seamstress, but Susan L. has been sewing all her life. So, basically I just used it as a template sort of thing and figured out the assemblage part myself. In the end, I think it turned out pretty cute. It's on my etsy site if you want to buy it. Hint, hint!


This is the back.  Obviously, it is a size small.


I lined it with a pink cotton lawn.  I left the lining free so that, if the wind blew, you could see it.  I think it makes a nice contrast.



Really, a wrap skirt is one of the greatest inventions. They are comfortable, adjustable (this style would be the perfect choice for your Thanksgiving dinner- hahaha!), and classic.

No comments: