Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Juggling


I have been hired to make juggling balls. Yep, that's right! A fellow in my county is an accomplished juggler. He gives lessons and sells juggling balls to his students. His wife used to make them for him, but now she has a new job keeping her busy. Since she doesn't have time to make them anymore, he has sought me out, accomplished seamstress that I am (actually, he bumped into me by accident). I agreed to try making the balls to see if it would be cost effective for both of us.

Basically, there are two strips of fabric that you line up like a T, with one strip perpendicular to the other, centered in the middle. Then you sew around the outside, turning the strips up at each edge till it makes a box. Luckily, he is going to turn them inside out and stuff them, so I don't have to worry about that.


So, here goes...





Nice!



















And another.... Not bad!













A few more, and now I have a nice little pile of juggling bags.  Now things are looking pretty good!



















And again.... HUH?!!  What the?!  











Well, apparently, if the edges are not lined up exactly equal in the middle, this is the result. And it is a sorry sight.  Sigh.... this happened several times before I figured it out. Apparently, sewing juggling bags are not as easy as I thought.

No comments: